Monday, March 1, 2010

Heartbreak

I woke up one morning to my husband telling me not to freak out but...my Disaster Monster decided to improve the back of Jean's quilt with black marker. Catastrophe!

After the panic subsided, I remembered that the quilt wasn't quilted yet so I unbasted it and tried various methods of removing the ink all to no avail. So I booked it over to Joanns in the hopes that such a darling fabric hadn't been completely snatched up in the two months since I had bought it. My good fortune held and I was able to buy another yard and a half of the material so all is not lost and my little monster doesn't need to be shipped to a reform school for two year olds.

In the end, I am just super grateful that I refolded the quilt to have the back facing out rather than the front. If she had colored on the front, there probably would have been no hope for her :-). On a happy note, I loved the material so much that I wanted to have extra to use for another project some day but didn't feel like I could spend the money with no real need. So now, I have extra fabric once I cut around the 8"x3" mark.
My totally unrepentant two year old complete with the "tattoo sleeves" she gave herself the same morning.
I sent out a family wide e-mail that morning exposing the wretch for what she was to alleviate my angst. My sister-in-law Sara called up later that morning to make sure that my daughter was still okay. But I am the oldest of six children and my parents made sure that I learned the lesson early that "people are more important than things." And this situation wasn't nearly as bad as when we found out my brother had recorded over my wedding video with a football game.

6 comments:

The O'Malleys said...

I just went through all your post up to this point. I am completely astounded. I had no idea you made such gorgeous gorgeous quilts. They look like such huge amounts of work I don't know how you do it. I have to say I agree with Tim I love the quilted quilts and yours are definitely the best ones. I don't know how you give them away. Very Very impressed.

Allison said...

It has elephants =)

I can spot them a mile away.

Sara said...

I love your new blog Buffy! You are so talented--one of the few people who can really pull off a blog like this really well . . . . :)

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you were able to get more fabric (which is soooooo darn cute) to save both the quilt and Eleanor :)

Unknown said...

Better not tell her, but she looks kinda cool in tattoos ;) Glad you could save the quilt though, because it is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

This recording football over a wedding video was a theme straight off the "Everybody Loves Raymond" show! What a disaster!